Monday, February 13, 2012

Promises.

Kicking off week 3 of being here in Prague! Things just keep getting more and more amazing. Headed to Berlin this weekend with three other girls. We are very excited for our first adventure away! If anyone has any tips regarding Berlin we would love to hear them because we aren't really sure what we are going to do there!

Because I have to blog every week I have decided to try and have a theme to every post. This one regards promises. Before I left I made a few promises to some friends...

The first was to my best friend, Drew, we decided to make a pact that we both wouldn't cut our hair until I get back. I have no idea where this started but if you know me you probably know my obsession with my hair length. As much as I want Rapunzel-like hair, not cutting it is not the way to get it because when I do go to get a trim they will have to take much more hair damaged hair off. Whatever. I wanted to post about this to forewarn anyone who looks at my pictures, there can be no judgement when my hair looks scraggly, because it already does.

The second promise was to my best friend, Hannah. When we were saying goodbye at the airport she told me to have fun and make new friends but to make sure I don't find a new best friend. I am happy to report that I have met some amazing people so far on my trip. I think my favorite thing about the people I am meeting is just realizing that we really all come from such different backgrounds. I love hearing people's stories about where they grew up and what their friends and family are like. Although I really have met some great people and know that there are more to come I don't see myself having to break it to Hannah that I met someone who has replaced her. (Ps. Happy birthday!!)

And finally the last promise was to my sister, Morgan. She made me promise that I wouldn't be "that study abroad girl" for those of you who don't know what that is. It is basically the person who goes abroad and then comes home and compares everything to things in Europe and talks about how much better Europe is. They become condescending just because they spent a semester away. She already called me out once with a comment about the food here the other day. They don't put preservatives in anything here so meat, chicken for example is only good for about 3 days. (Lesson learned, that was a smelly experience) And it is also much smaller because they don't inject it with ridiculous amounts of hormones. Not saying one is better or worse, just that one might not make you grow an extra arm 20 years down the road. ;) I am hoping that although I feel extremely lucky that I get to experience this semester away that when I come home I'm not "that study abroad girl".

Molly Jayne