Saturday, March 3, 2012

Berlin

Its been a while since I've blogged, having a little complication with my computer charger so I've been computer-less for a few weeks. Thanks to my wonderful mother who is sending me two new ones in a care package that should he here sometime this week (fingers crossed).

Earlier this month we went out for our first weekend away to Berlin, Germany. I went with 3 of the girls that are from my program. We left early Friday morning at about 5:30 to get to the bus station and be ready for our bus that left at 7. The bus ride was about 5 hours long. They have movies and free drinks to keep you occupied but I slept the entire way. So I was ready to go when we made it to Berlin! We got off at the bus station and headed out to find some Eruo's and our hostel. Because we've *almost* mastered how to get around our city by subway we felt that we could do it in Berlin. Although it took us a little while to figure it all out we ended up making it to our hostel! Our hostel was really nice and our other roommates we're all friendly. We headed out to explore after getting settled. We ended up finding Mexican food, that we had all been craving and decided to start off our German adventure that way. We had a great time in Berlin but if you're looking for true German culture and life, Berlin isn't the place. We kept comparing it to New York just because it is such a big city. We decided to make Saturday our touristy day. After meeting a bunch of American students on Friday who recommended all the must see things we felt confident that we could make it around. The history that goes along with Berlin is really interesting. My favorite thing we saw was a museum called Topography of Terrors. A holocaust museum dedicated to the children who suffered. It had tons of pictures and information but it was a lot to take in, especially for someone who cries at a sappy commercial. A remaining piece of the Berlin wall is right outside the museum as a monument so that was also very cool to see. We met tons of interesting and fun people which I think was my favorite part of the trip. I took Berlin as a learning experience of how to travel. We learned the hostel situation, what to bring, what not to bring, and how to spend way too much money in one weekend! I'm excited for our next adventure to Amsterdam on Wednesday to see if we can take what we learned and put it to use!